Saturday, March 16, 2013

Herb Crusted Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce

Ugh. Have you ever had one of those days where you're just sick of everything and you have no idea what to make for dinner? That was me, yesterday. So I ask the hubby what he wants and I get "Whatever you want." Really? Would I be asking what you want if I had any IDEA what I wanted? Grrrrr! So, I plopped the laptop on his lap with my Good Eats Pinterest board open and told him to find something. This is what he came up with.
 
 
 
Now, we all know that not everything on Pinterest works out as well as it looks in the photos. But, that's what this blog is all about. Finding new recipes, trying them out, and letting you guys know how it worked out so you don't have to waste the time and money. In this case, it was a slam dunk!
 
 
 
Herb Crusted Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce
 
(The original recipe made enough for two people. I had to double it to make enough for everyone in my family, but I will stick to the original recipe to avoid confusion :)
 
Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup Progresso Garlic and Herb Bread Crumbs (All I had on hand was plain, so I just made my own by adding 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning)
2 tsp McCormick "Perfect Pinch" Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper Seasoning
1 tsp chives (fresh or dried, doesn't matter.)
3 tbsp butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 can of Italian Diced Tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 tbsp basil
Black pepper
 
 
Plan of Action:
 
Mix bread crumbs, Perfect Pinch Seasoning, and chives thouroughly in a shallow bowl.
Like this!
 
 
Put milk in a seperate shallow bowl.
 
Dip the chicken in the milk, then dredge in the bread crumb mix.
Voila!
 
(I did mention that I had to double the recipe!)
 
Melt the butter in a medium non stick skillet over MEDIUM heat. The chicken is thin, so it will cook quickly, and we don't want to burn it!
 
Add the chicken and cook until nicely browned and cooked through (about 10 minutes, depending on how thin your chicken is. When in doubt, use a meat thermometer! USDA temp for chicken is 165 degrees)
 
Drooling yet?
 
Remove chicken and keep warm. In the same skillet, add the garlic and saute for one minute.
 
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up all those yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.
 
Add the tomatoes and cream and boil for one minute, stirring.
 
 
Reduce heat to low and add the Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper to taste. Stir and cook the sauce until heated through and thickened. (About 5 minutes)
 
Serve by pouring the sauce over the chicken. You could serve it over a bed of pasta with some crusty bread to sop up all that heavenly sauce. In fact, the hubby said this should be our go to Alfredo sauce!
 
 
So, there it is. A Pinterest recipe tested and approved. Easy, delicious, and it does look exactly like the pic!
 
Let me know how it turns out for you!
 
Lots of Love,
Brandie
 
 
 
 
*Thanks to mealfire.com for the recipe!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment